Monday, June 1, 2009

The Solars Invade Colorado: Day 1

Jenny and I are and always have been big fans of road trips. We spent 3 weeks on the road for our honeymoon 6 years ago. Something about just getting in the car...errr, minivan now, putting the trusty ipod on shuffle, and just driving relaxes me.

For this trip, we are meeting my sister in Durango, CO, but we have no idea when we will arrive (hopefully by Thursday), and that's the way we like it. We are also going to try and hit Buena Vista for the hot air balloon festival, but who knows. Day by day is the Solar way. Oh, wait, we have 3 young children with us now. I guess we're on their schedule (which is why we didn't hit the Colorado border today).

A couple of notes:
1. We're going to try and blog every night, and when I say we, I mean me on our photo blog, and Jenny on our family blog. Images on here I took, images over there, Jenny took :)
2. I'm going to update our map as we go.



Anyway, here are a few favorites from Day 1 of our invasion of Colorado (except today, we're still in the middle of nowhere Kansas)


the kiddos said goodbye to Grandma EE this morning

Here is what we saw all day, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just ain't Colorado :)


The clouds made for some interesting pictures, though.

After a full day of car riding, the kids needed a break, so we found a nice little playground and got some ice cream...lots of fun and smiles ensued :)

I feel this image captures what it's like to be 2.5 and on a swingset :)


Max likes to swing, too.

Some fun broke out in front of a nice brick wall :)

Ava REALLY enjoyed her mint chocolate chip ice cream.



so much so, she got it in her hair :)

Max didn't want to participate...

or did he?


I lied, Jenny took this shot, but it didn't really fit on her blog, so it ended up here.

After we got the kids settled in our hotel in Larned, Kansas, I headed out to watch a sweet sunset by myself. I got these 2 images as a result. Who knew Kansas could be so pretty?