Saturday, December 13, 2008

Top 10 Albums of 2008

Music is a huge part of my life, so I wanted to share my favorite albums that came out in 2008. Plus, last year I shared my favorite albums, so why not do it again?

And, before we get to the tunes, here's a quick reminder that all comments left before midnight, Dec. 15 = 1 can of food to people who truly need it!

1. Neil Halstead - Oh! Mighty Engine
This cd was without a doubt my favorite album of the year. If you've never heard of him (and you probably haven't), please do yourself a favor and check him out.
2. Rosi Golan - The Drifter and the Gypsy
The songs that Rosi writes bring a smile to my face. Check out "Shine"
3. Forest City Lovers - Huanting Moon Sinking
Kat's voice is AMAZING!!!!
4. Jon Foreman - Winter ep
All of Jon's eps are amazing, but the Winter one stands out to me with songs such as, "Behind Your Eyes" and "I am Still Running". He released a series of 4 eps this year, one for each season.
5. The Welcome Wagon - Welcome to the Welcome Wagon
I stumbled upon this band just the other day, and fell in love! The Welcome Wagon consists of a Presbyterian minister Vito Aiuto and his wife, Monique. This album was also produced by Sufjan Stevens (which is never a bad thing).
6. The Weepies - Hideaway
I love harmonies! And no one does it better than the Weepies!
7. William Fitzsimmons - The Sparrow & the Crow
A very good, very depressing record :)
8. Xavier Rudd - Dark Shades of Blue
Xavier Rudd could put out an album every year and it would ALWAYS make my top 10 (he's the only one on 2007's and 2008's). His songs are just so uplifting, they can put me in a good mood anytime.
9. Mason Jennings - In the Ever
Mason Jennings is one of my favorite songwriters of all time. His stories are amazing!
10. Joshua James - Sun is Always Brighter
Dude's voice is rough and soulful. Enough said :)

It's always hard for me to pick out 10 albums every year as my favorites. I seriously listen to way too much music, but these are the albums that I feel I can always come back to when I need them and they'll never get old. And, I know my descriptions suck, but just as hard as it is for me to narrow down, it's even harder for me to try and explain why I like certain songs/albums/artists. Music is very personal to me, and I have always had a hard time putting personal stuff about ME into words :)

I'd love to hear from my readers if any of my musical selections touch you in any way!