Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Top 10 Albums of 2007

Normally, I keep this blog to pictures, both of clients and of my wonderful family and friends, but tonight I got to thinking that music is just as big a part of my life as everything else I post on here, so I decided to do list my top 10 albums of 2007.

Here it is:
top 10

1. Jose Gonzalez - In Our Nature
Most nights I'll be downstairs editing to soft, beautiful music, and oftentimes it's Jose Gonzalez. In Our Nature is every bit as good as Veneer, his first album.

2. Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog
Iron & Wine is another artist that puts me in a great frame of mind. Sam Beam has one of the most relaxing voices I've ever heard.

3. Bedouin Soundclash - Street Gospels
I met these dudes earlier this year and seriously they are my favorite reggae band, besides Bob Marley, of course. Most reggae nowadays is terrible, but Bedouin has a sound that reminds me of the great old reggae put out in the 60's and 70's.

4. Ben Harper - Lifeline
I met Ben Harper earlier this year as well (click here). He is by far my favorite artist, and Lifeline does not disappoint. I love old school soul music in the vein of Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, etc, and this album totally has that 60's soul vibe to it. It was recorded on all analog equipment live, no computers used at all, and you can tell. If you love soul music, check out Lifeline.

5. Xavier Rudd - White Moth
I love me some Australian music, and Xavier Rudd is on top of that list. This album would be enjoyed by anyone who is a fan of Jack Johnson. He plays most of the instruments by himself all at the same time including, lap slide, harmonica, didgeridoo, and stomp box. It's a very rootsy album with some of the tracks including an indigenous tribe from Australia chanting and such. I love it:)

6. Ray Barbee & the Mattson 2 - Ray Barbee Meets the Mattson 2
Ray Barbee is one of my favorite guitarists. I first heard him on the "Sprout" soundtrack, one of my favorite surf movies. Anyway, this album is all jazz. It's hard to find, but if you like relaxing jazz music trio's (guitar, bass, drums), check this one out.

7. John Butler Trio - Grand National
John Butler Trio is another one of my favorite Australian bands. John Butler is one of my favorite guitarists and he shreds on some of these songs.

8. Corey Harris - Zion Crossroads
Corey Harris has been my favorite blues-roots artist since I saw him open up for Dave Matthews in 2002. Anyway, he changes it up and this one is a roots-reggae album. It could have been recorded in the early days of reggae as well. Any reggae fan should have this in their collection.

9. BLKTOP Project - self-titled
The BLKTOP Project is a super-group of sorts. It features Ray Barbee, Tommy Guerrero, Matt Rodriguez, Doug Scharin, and Chuck Treece and is some of the most laid back instrumentals you will ever hear. It's the perfect album for a long road trip.

10. Eisley - Combinations
Eisley finally, finally put out a follow up to their debut album, Room Noises. The harmonies on this one are amazing. All their voices work together to make some of the most beautiful pop music you will ever hear.

It was hard for me to narrow this list down to 10 albums, but these ones are the ones that I play over and over and never get tired of.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you discover some wonderful new music:)